On 5-7 December 2022, the MigraMediaActs team presented the panel “Migrations, Media and Activisms” in the VIII International Congress on Cultures at the University of Minho, in Braga, Portugal.
With the theme “Cultures of Resistance”, the Congress took place in a hybrid format, with presential and online sessions, and was promoted by Rede Internacional de Estudos Sobre Culturas, with the presence of dozens of researchers and students from countries like Portugal, Brazil and Mozambique.
The project panel, moderated by José Pedro Monteiro (University of Minho, Portugal), included five presentations by various team members, as illustrated below:
- Migrations, media and decolonial activisms: challenges of an research-action program
Luiza Lins, Rosa Cabecinhas, Isabel Macedo & Julia Alves Brasil (University
do Minho, Portugal)
- Alternative media and decolonial activisms: a dialectic under construction
Paula Lobo & Carla Cerqueira (University of Minho and Lusófona University, Portugal)
- Migrant activisms: paths of an action-research
Gessica Borges & Ana Cristina Pereira (University of Minho, Portugal)
- Alcindo: Resisting the Legacies of Racialization in a Postcolonial Portugal
Sheila Khan (University of Minho, Portugal)
- Contemporary Brazilian cinema and the belief in images
Michelle Sales, Irislane Mendes & Leonardo Gonçalves (Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
Professor Rosa Cabecinhas, principal investigator of MigraMediaActs, also participated in the Plenary Session “Cultures, Communication and Activisms” on the last day of the event.